The Utah Watercolor Society was founded December 30, 1974, and continues to operate as a Utah Non-profit Corporation and Cooperative Association, exempt from taxes under IRC 501(c)(3). The mission of UWS is to promote the advancement of the art of painting watercolors, and to hold annual exhibitions of watercolors. Watercolors are defined here as paintings in transparent and/or opaque water media, or unvarnished water soluble media on paper.
Our Goals are to further the activity and interest in watermedia and to reaffirm the permanence and importance of watercolor as a medium in its own right. Also, we promote artists continual growth as individuals and as a group, and strive to maintain exhibits of the highest professional quality.
We are a member society of the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies (WFWS).
We have monthly meetings with great artists that demonstrate their skills and share their knowledge with us. Most Meetings are on the first Tuesday of the month.
Everybody is Welcome!
Here are some of the benefits of UWS membership
Demonstrations by excellent artists at monthly meetings
- Monthly Paint-Outs with great people from UWS
- Monthly Illustrated Journaling group that meets before the general member meeting
Information about activities and exhibitions shared via website and eblast
Opportunities to enter shows and display your work:
Fall Member Exhibition (Open to UWS members only)
Annual Small Works Exhibition (Open to UWS members only)
Spring Open Exhibition (Open to UWS members and residents of Utah. Non-members pay a higher entry fee)
- Automatic membership in the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies which entitles UWS members to enter the annual WFWS show.
- Two 5-day workshops taught by nationally acclaimed artist instructors every year (in conjunction with our Fall and Spring exhibitions). Members get priority enrollment and lower fees than non-members.
- At least four 2-day “mini” workshops taught by various instructors. Members get priority enrollment and lower fees than non-members.
- Various levels of membership: General Membership, One-Star Membership (achieved by acceptance to one Spring Open Exhibition), Two-Star Membership (achieved by acceptance to two Spring Open Exhibitions), and Signature Membership (achieved by acceptance to eight qualifying exhibitions plus an award in one of those…must have achieved Two Star Membership in order to qualify for Signature Membership).